« Mobile Downloads To Overtake The Net | Main | Yahoo Introduces Search Service for Music, Audio »

August 03, 2005

Apple starts iTunes online music service in Japan

Reuters: Much has been speculated on this over the last year: Apple has launched its iTunes online music store in Japan, bringing its market-leading download service to the world's second-largest music market by album sales. The service will charge 150 yen ($1.35) each for 90 percent of its songs and 200 yen for the other 10 percent, undercutting some existing players such as Sony's Mora online download service, which charges 210 yen per song.
About 15 Japanese companies including Avex Group Holdings would provide content for the iTunes store, which will have over 1 million songs.
AP: It could also change the music business here, where people who download music are still accustomed to paying more money for a limited lineup of tunes from sites for PCs and mobile phones that cost about 200 yen (US$1.80; euro1.50) a tune or charge monthly fees.

Posted by Rafat Ali in Apple, Asia | Permalink

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c784753ef00d835528f5d69e2

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Apple starts iTunes online music service in Japan:

Comments

The comments to this entry are closed.